Thursday, January 2, 2014

" 18 What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed; and in this I rejoice.
Yes, and I will rejoice,
19 for I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayers and the provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ,
20 according to my earnest expectation and hope, that I will not be put to shame in anything, but that with all boldness, Christ will even now, as always, be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.
21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain."

(New American Standard Bible: 1995 update. (1995). (Php 1:18–21). LaHabra, CA: The Lockman Foundation.)

Paul speaks here of a sure and certain sea of joy that wells up in his soul when Jesus is preached, teached, praised, adored, exalted, and at the very least even when someone is trying to extort or selfishly fulfill their desires Jesus is still proclaimed. Therefore he will find joy in that. Not only that Christ is preached but that the preaching of Christ's death resurrection according to the scriptures will lead to His ultimate freedom for he was taken in chains for preaching the gospel. Paul wasn't anticipating walking these earthly streets or eating a good meal or drinking a vintage wine Paul was relishing in the fact that even should the chains that bound him on this earth presently never be loosed these chains would never ultimately fill his soul with despair because even if he remains bound till death, He know because of the preaching of Jesus He will be free. "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain."

We all love that last verse but I believe many of us do not understand the pain and suffering behind it. Paul is ready to die because it means ultimate freedom for him and peace, but if he must draw breath one more time on this side of eternity then it will be exhaled as a proclamation of the gospel of the one who owns his life, JESUS.

So folks, my take away from this passage today:
#1 - what is it that motivates me to breathe; if it is not Jesus is it really worthy of all the other breaths I breath? Then I need the gospel today because it really is the best thing about my day.
#2 - Am I enjoying life? Because Jesus lived and died so that I might have life and have it more abundantly. If not then I need the Gospel today; because the gospel really is the best thing about my life today.
#3 - have I become so focused on my life, pain, situation, etc. that I have missed the release and freedom found in Jesus? Have I really become so selfish that I am not even willing to let the ONE who has saved me use me to bring HIM glory and others to the same freedom I have been given? If so then I need the gospel today because that is the best thing about my day.

Is "for to you, to live is Christ and to die gain" ? Really.... think about that then live like the gospel has changed your life.

May God bless you and keep you today.

Pastor G

No comments:

Post a Comment